TT Assistant Professor (education profile) in Polymer-based Composites (221197)
We are looking for an early-career academic who is interested to start a tenure-track that focuses on education and who can strengthen our teaching and research in the field of polymer-based composites. Polymers, such as plastics and elastomers, have become essential in everyday life, mainly due to their low production costs and their lower density. Fibers and other fillers (from the nano- to the macroscale) can be added to plastics to improve their mechanical properties and hence their competitiveness with metallic materials. Here, the focus is on producing polymer-based composite materials (preferentially bio-based composites) and investigating properties both at the microscopic and macroscopic scale with as main aim to understand how to predict and improve the performances of the composites. This rapidly expanding area of science and technology is highly multidisciplinary and is increasingly integrated into Chemical and Engineering degree programs. Collaboration with colleagues from the Faculty of Science and Engineering is highly encouraged but too much overlap with existing research activities of a colleague is not desired.
As Assistant Professor with an education profile you will:
● teach in the degree programmes Chemical Engineering, Industrial Engineering & Management and Chemistry and likely Mechanical Engineering
● play a significant role in the development of education at FSE, both at the course and the programme level
● develop your own research line and contribute to research lines in the research group Macromolecular Chemistry & New Polymeric Materials (prof. K.U. Loos) or optionally Polymer Science (Prof. Kamperman)
● contribute to the supervision of PhD students in the research group
● contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, especially in the domain of education.
At the stage of Assistant Professor 60% of your time is for teaching and education development, 30% for research and 10% for organizational tasks. After five years you will be assessed for tenure and promotion to the level of Associate Professor (see Conditions of employment).
We offer you the opportunity to start a career path that focuses on education and to become an educational leader in time. We encourage you to apply if you have:
● a passion for teaching and education development
● demonstrably excellent teaching qualities
● a PhD degree in chemical engineering, chemistry or a related field, obtained at most 8 years ago
● a good track record in research, as shown by publications in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
● at least two years of relevant work experience after your PhD
● demonstrable organizational competences
● good command of spoken and written English.
And you are:
● willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years and a Senior Teaching Qualification (Dutch: SKO) within five years
● able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment
● a team player with good communication skills who is able to inspire students and colleagues
● able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years (B1 level).
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential global ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, astronomy and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, pharmacy and nanoscience. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in the Zernike Institute for Advanced Materials. The strength of the institute lies in focused, curiosity-driven, symbiotic studies of functional materials within the realm of nanoscience and nanotechnology. In this field, the Zernike Institute for Advanced Materials covers the whole chain from synthesizing materials, building devices, characterizing materials and devices, and investigating the theoretical foundation of their properties.
Conditions of employment
We offer you a full-time tenure-track position as Assistant Professor and:
● a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 3,746 up to a maximum of € 5,127 gross per month (scale 11) for a full-time position
● a starting package of € 40k to travel, organize workshops, etc., as well as access to additional resources for education development projects
● holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
● a pension scheme
● maternity and parental leave
● the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
● a personal development trajectory and a mentor program
● dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
In case of a full-time contract, you will initially be appointed for 7 years and your performance will be assessed after 5 years. This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). If your assessment is positive, you will get a tenured appointment as Associate Professor with an education profile. Please consider the following link for more details on the criteria for promotion: https://www.rug.nl/webvernieuwing/world/fse/tenure-track-positions-education-profile/assistant-professor-with-an-education-profile-def.pdf
The continuation of the career path after the level of Associate Professor with an education profile is currently being developed. It will include the possibility of applying for promotion to the position of Full Professor with an education profile.
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
● a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
● a curriculum vitae, including a description of your teaching experience, a list of your publications and a list with names of at least two references
● a statement of your vision on teaching, in particular pertaining to developments in your field, and what you would like to accomplish in our degree programmes (max 2 pages A4)
● a description of your scientific interest and plans (max 2 pages A4)
You can submit your application until 16 May 11:59pm / before 17 May 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews will take place in the week of 21-25 June 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. C.H. van der Wal, Scientific Director of the Zernike Institute (general information), c.h.van.der.wal rug.nl
- Prof. B.J. Kooi, Director Education of the Zernike Institute (teaching information), b.j.kooi rug.nl
- Prof. K.U. Loos, Professor Macromolecular Chemistry & New Polymeric Materials, k.u.loos rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.