TT Assistant Professor (education profile) in Biomolecular Sciences (221190)
We are looking for an early-career academic, who is interested to start a tenure-track that focuses on education and who can strengthen our teaching and research in the field of Biomolecular Sciences. The candidate will develop and implement the modernization and harmonization of our practical education. The candidate will become coordinator of several practical courses, of various size in terms of student enrolment and throughout the entire curriculum, and set up a collegial consultation with other staff members. Tasks involved are the evaluation of the outcome of educational approaches using hybrid practical teaching, the implementation of improvements across all practical courses to allow a coherent and innovative usage of such hybrid methods, and improved integration of practical courses with theoretical ones.
As Assistant Professor with an education profile you will:
● teach in the degree programmes Biology (major Molecular Life Science; BSc), Chemistry (Bsc), Life Science and Technology (BSc) and Biomolecular Sciences (MSc).
● play a significant role in the development of education at FSE, both at the course and the programme levels
● develop either your own research line or contribute to running research lines within the Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute (GBB)
● contribute to the supervision of PhD students in the one of the GBB research groups
● contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, especially in the domain of education
At the stage of Assistant Professor 60% of your time is devoted to teaching and education development, 30% for research and 10% for organizational tasks. After five years you will be assessed for tenure and promotion to the level of Associate Professor (see Conditions of employment).
We offer you the opportunity to start a career path that focuses on education and to become an educational leader in time. We encourage you to apply if you have:
● a passion for teaching and education development
● demonstrably excellent teaching qualities
● a PhD degree in Biochemistry, Biophysical Chemistry, Computational Biology, Molecular Genetics, Molecular (Cell/Micro)Biology or a related field, obtained at most 8 years ago (at the time of appointment)
● a good track record in research, as shown by publications in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
● at least 2 years of relevant work experience after your PhD (at the time of appointment)
● demonstrable organizational competences
● good command of spoken and written English
And you are:
● willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years and a Senior Teaching Qualification (Dutch: SKO) within five years
● able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment
● a team player with good communication skills who is able to inspire students and colleagues
● able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years (B1 level).
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, astronomy and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, pharmacy, biomolecular science, and nanoscience. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute (GBB), one of the larger institutes of the Faculty. The GBB provides an excellent environment for top-notch research in the field of biomolecular sciences. Twelve vibrant research groups with strong roots in biochemistry, biophysical chemistry, cell biology, computational biology, genetics, microbiology, molecular biology, and systems biology are organized in two focal areas: ‘Molecular Mechanisms of Biological Processes’ and ‘Physiology and Systems Biology’.
Conditions of employment
We offer you a full-time tenure-track position as Assistant Professor and:
● a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 3,746 up to a maximum of € 5,127 gross per month (scale 11) for a full-time position
● a starting package of € 40k to travel, organize workshops, etc., as well as access to additional resources for education development projects
● holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
● a pension scheme
● maternity and parental leave
● the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
● a personal development trajectory and a mentor program
● dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
In case of a full-time contract, you will initially be appointed for 7 years and your performance will be assessed after 5 years. This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). If your assessment is positive, you will get a tenured appointment as Associate Professor with an education profile. Please consider the following link for more details on the criteria for promotion: https://www.rug.nl/webvernieuwing/world/fse/tenure-track-positions-education-profile/assistant-professor-with-an-education-profile-def.pdf
The continuation of the career path after the level of Associate Professor with an education profile is currently being developed. It will include the possibility of applying for promotion to the position of Full Professor with an education profile.
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
● a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
● a curriculum vitae, including a description of your teaching experience, a list of your publications and a list with names of at least two references
● a statement of your vision on teaching, in particular pertaining to developments in your field, and what you would like to accomplish in our degree programmes (max 2 pages A4)
● a description of your scientific interest and plans (max 2 pages A4)
You can submit your application until 16 May 11:59pm / before 17 May 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The first round of selection interviews will take place on June 22, 23 or 29, most likely via an online meeting.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. Dirk Slotboom, Scientific Director GBB, d.j.slotboom rug.nl
- Prof. Dirk-Jan Scheffers, Director Education GBB, d.j.scheffers rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.