Faculty Board Member/Managing Director of the University College Groningen (221006E)
The Faculty Board has two members. The Managing Director of the Faculty is particularly responsible for the personnel, finance and accommodation portfolio. Together with the Dean, the Managing Director of the Faculty contributes to the development and implementation of policy, in particular effective personnel and financial policy, as well as to an effective organisation. In addition, the Managing Director of the Faculty also acts as the Faculty Secretary.
Specific duties to be performed as part of this position include:
• translating educational policy into policy regarding a variety of resources, in particular personnel, financial resources and buildings
• translating educational policy into the required forms and extent of support and into an effective structure for the entire Faculty organisation
• directly managing Faculty Office staff (incl. the secretariat and staff members with special duties, such as internationalisation and GDPR)
• together with the Dean, forming a collegial board that bears joint responsibility for the general policy
• in addition to their duties as Faculty Board member, also acting as Faculty Secretary:
● preparing meetings in terms of both organisation and content
● monitoring the implementation of decisions, and where necessary implementing decisions themselves
● taking joint responsibility for the Faculty Board’s correspondence.
We are looking for someone with sufficient expertise as well as an academic level of working and thinking, management experience, strategic insight, a good feel for administrative relationships and a practical attitude. The candidate must be able act authoritatively in an environment where professional autonomy plays an important role.
The candidate should possess:
● demonstrable managerial and administrative experience
● an affinity with education and educational innovation
● an understanding of the University HR policy and the ability to translate this towards the Faculty (incl. the accompanying processes and procedures, such as terms of employment and health, safety and environment)
● a thorough understanding of financial matters (incl. the accompanying administrative processes)
● an analytical understanding, linked to an attitude of carefulness and integrity
● excellent social and communication skills (Dutch also in English: C2 level).
In terms of attitude:
● the ability to create and maintain relationships
● a solution-oriented, pragmatic and facilitating attitude
● decisiveness, drive and consistency
● a clear and careful approach to procedures and the ability to be flexible where necessary
● reliability in terms of agreements and statements
● the ability to tie in with the international and interdisciplinary culture of the Faculty
● the ability to serve the interests of the University of Groningen as a whole.
In the event of equal suitability, preference will be given to female candidates.
The University College Groningen (UCG) is a faculty of the University of Groningen that started a Liberal Arts and Sciences programme in September 2014. The UCG Liberal Arts and Sciences programme offers broad academic education with a focus on engagement to societal challenges through project-based education and interdisciplinary integration. The University of Groningen Centre of Entrepreneurship has been part of the Faculty since 2018. The Faculty has approximately 350 students as well as 30 FTE in academic staff and 14 FTE in support staff. The UCG community is internationally oriented, with staff and students from across the globe. The Faculty is led by the Faculty Board, which is chaired by the Dean. In addition to the Dean, the other members of the Faculty Board include the Managing Director of the Faculty and a student member. The Faculty Board is a collegial board, for which the Dean bears final responsibility.
The Faculty is currently looking for a board member to function as Managing Director of the Faculty, as this position will shortly become vacant.
Conditions of employment
In accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, we offer the following terms of employment:
● a salary of between € 5,190 and € 6,317 gross per month (salary scale 13) for a full-time position, depending on experience
● an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% year-end bonus over the annual gross income
● a contract of 0.8 FTE for a period of one year with the prospect of appointment for an indefinite term in the event of proven suitability. As a rule, Faculty Board members are appointed for a period of five years, with the possibility of an extension.
Date of entry into employment: 1 February 2021 or as soon as possible after this date
You can submit your application until 24 January 11:59pm / before 25 January 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website). Only submissions via the application form will be considered.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. Hanny Elzinga, Dean University College Groningen, +31 50 3635187, h.k.elzinga rug.nl
- Drs. J.A.W.M. Biemans, member of the Board of the University, +31 50 3635285, j.a.w.m.biemans rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.