Teachers Mathematics/Statistics for (Applied) Mathematics programme 1.6–2.0 FTE (220461-62)
The School of Science and Engineering has two vacancies for teaching positions in the Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programmes in (Applied) Mathematics. Its teaching staff is mostly associated with the Department of Mathematics of the Bernoulli Institute of Mathematics, Computing Science and Artificial Intelligence. In these programmes, teaching is in English, promoting an international setting and has a focus on research-driven teaching.
The didactic structure of the mathematics and statistics education is a hybrid of lecturing, tutorials and projects. New didactic concepts such as learning communities are being implemented.
We are searching for two enthusiastic teachers with a good track record in mathematics and/or statistics education. The candidates are expected to teach within the Bachelor’s degree programme in (Applied) Mathematics and/or to provide mathematics/statistics education within other degree programmes of the Faculty of Science and Engineering. A full list of the courses, including more information on their content, can be found in the university’s on-line course catalogue (https://www.rug.nl/ocasys/).
As a Teacher, your duties will include:
• give lectures and tutorials
• prepare and supervise projects
• contribute to the learning communities
• supervise and guide Teaching Assistants.
We encourage you to apply if you have:
• a PhD degree in (Applied) Mathematics or Statistics
• experience in teaching (Applied) Mathematics or Statistics at the University level (appropriate to your career stage, at least as Teaching Assistant)
• experience with various types of academic teaching and learning (lectures, tutorials, projects, group work, etc.) is an asset
• proficiency in English at the C2 level
• cross-cultural sensitivity and strong communication skills
• willingness to integrate within an international group and enjoy working with young people with various cultural and educational backgrounds.
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. The School of Science and Engineering of the faculty provides respectively 13 Bachelor degree programmes and 26 Master degree programmes to approximately 6000 students. The faculty’s staff and students come from all over the world and nearly all its degree programmes are in English.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary depending on level of experience with a minimum of € 2,790 (salary scale 10) up to a maximum of € 5,127 gross per month (salary scale 11) for a full-time position
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% year-end bonus
• an appointment for one year, with possibility of extension for one more year, depending on the developments within the organisation and a positive evaluation during the Result and Development Interview
• minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment.
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
• a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
• a curriculum vitae
• a statement of your teaching goals and experience.
You can submit your application until 20 January 11:59pm / before 21 January 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews will take place in the end of January 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. R.W.C.P. Verstappen, +31 50 3633958, r.w.c.p.verstappen rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.