Lecturer in Spatial Planning & Design (0.8-1.0 FTE) (220393)
As a Lecturer, you will contribute to teaching in the bachelor programme Spatial Planning and Design and the bachelor programme of Human Geography & Planning. Your main teaching tasks will be related to the Spatial Design courses and skills courses. We will adjust the exact teaching requirements to your background and experience.
• a master’s degree in Spatial Planning, Landscape Architecture, Urbanism, Urban Design or related socio-spatial field
• experience in teaching in higher education; awareness of and willingness to use the latest innovations in teaching techniques
• in the possession of a University Teaching Qualification or is prepared to acquire this qualification within a reasonable timeframe
• an interest in and knowledge about Design Thinking within the institutional context of policy making
• willingness to participate in appropriate Faculty committees and/or other management tasks
• proficiency in using mainstream digital tools for spatial analysis and visualisation of designs
• fluency in English and has knowledge of or is willing to learn Dutch (to at least CEFR B2 level – for reading and listening).
The Faculty of Spatial Sciences at the University of Groningen is looking for a Lecturer in Spatial Planning & Design, preferably with interest in and knowledge about Design and innovative (digital) developments.
The Faculty of Spatial Sciences consists of approximately 100 members of staff, 100 PhD students and around 1.000 undergraduate students. We focus on high quality teaching and research in the fields of social and economic geography, demography, and spatial planning. With two bachelor and seven master programmes, we provide a wide range of courses within the fields of geography and spatial sciences. With a single collective research theme of 'towards Wellbeing, Innovation and Spatial Transformation' (tWIST), it is our mission to produce research which is world-leading, distinctive, and policy-relevant. We continuously renew our educational programmes, for example by incorporating innovative digital developments. Our Centre for Advanced Studies in Urban Science and Design (CASUS) develops state-of-the-art knowledge and digital skills, integrated in research and education.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, with a minimum of € 2,790 to a maximum of € 4,402 (salary scale 10) gross per month for a full-time position
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% year-end bonus
• an appointment for a period of 3 years.
For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the University of Groningen, please check: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/
Starting date: 1 February 2020
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
1. Letter of application
2. A curriculum vitae
3. The names of two referees.
You can submit your application until 2 December 11:59pm / before 3 December 2020 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into consideration.
The selection interviews will take place on 8 and 9 December 2020.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Dr Arjan van den Assem, +31 50 3633878, a.van.den.assem rug.nl
- Dr T. (Terry) van Dijk, +31 50 3638665, t.van.dijk rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.