Assistant Professor Public International Law (1,0 fte) (220338)
The prospective Assistant Professor will have the following primary responsibilities:
• teaching of public international law, in the bachelor and master programmes
• teaching in other areas of law within TLS (in particular philosophy of international law, legal interpretation and methodology of legal scholarship)
• supervising bachelor and master theses
• assisting in the organisation and coordination of summer courses and moot courts
• conducting research within the field of public international law
• engaging in the development of research projects.
The following requirements apply to the post:
• demonstrable broad knowledge of public international law
• a PhD degree, preferably based on a thesis in public international law, or a nearly completed PhD dissertation
• relevant teaching experience
• demonstrable knowledge of the philosophy of (international) law (strongly preferable)
• possession of a basic university teaching qualification or preparedness to acquire this qualification within a reasonable timeframe
• demonstrable organisational and communicative skills
• fluency in English
• the ability to teach in Dutch will be an advantage
• experience with the development of research projects will be an advantage.
Competences of an Assistant Professor:
• conceptual ability
• result orientation.
The Faculty of Law (https://www.rug.nl/rechten/) of the University of Groningen is a modern, (inter)nationally oriented institution which builds on a longstanding tradition of more than four centuries. The faculty has the ambition to measure itself with the best law faculties in Europe. It offers several (inter)national bachelor and master programmes and with more than 3500 students and almost 350 staff members, the faculty forms a vibrant community.
The Department of Transboundary Legal Studies (TLS), (https://www.rug.nl/rechten/organisatie/vakgroepen/transboundary-legal-studies/) offers a variety of courses within the field of international law as part of various bachelor and master programmes. To strengthen our teaching and research capacity, the Department has a vacancy for an Assistant Professor in Public International Law to be filled at short notice.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a minimum salary of € 3,746 (salary scale 11) and a maximum salary of € 5,826 (scale 12) gross a month on a fulltime basis in accordance with your experience
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% year-end bonus
• a post initially for a fixed term period of one year.
Starting date: as soon as possible
You may apply for this position until 1 November 11.59pm / before 2 November 2020 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Interviews (online) will be scheduled in the second week of November 2020.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. M.M.T.A. Brus, +31 6 38003768, M.M.T.A.Brus rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.