Postdoctoral Fellowship in Chemical Engineering (1.0 FTE) (220236)
The FSE Fellowship programme
Our unique FSE fellowship programme offers temporary positions for talented junior researchers who want to further develop both their research and teaching skills. You will have an appointment for four years during which you can do challenging research, have various teaching responsibilities (approximately 30% of the time), and be offered opportunities for training and career orientation.
From the start, you will have a personal Work and Development Plan (WDP) that describes the specific research, teaching and training activities that you will undertake. You will receive didactic training in your first year and have the opportunity to obtain a University Teaching Qualification. In addition to the yearly Result and Development Interviews with your supervisors, you will have a yearly meeting with a career counsellor to discuss your career development and plans.
A personal budget of a € 1,000 per year is dedicated for additional training and career activities.
The research area of the FSE fellow will be in the area of ‘Green Chemical Reaction Engineering’, and particularly in the development of highly intensified processes for catalytic biomass conversions. Teaching tasks will be performed in the bachelor and master programmes of Chemical Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Management and the master programme mechanical engineering, with an emphasis on courses related to reactor and process design. You will participate in the courses process and equipment design, (multiphase) reactors, and involved in supervision of bachelor and master research projects within the field of chemical engineering.
The position is embedded in the ENgineering and TEchnology institute Groningen (ENTEG).
• a PhD, obtained no longer than 3 years ago, preferably from another university than the University of Groningen
• a promising research record
• affinity with teaching; individuals with actual teaching experience will be favoured
• an excellent command of English.
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential global ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) harbours a kaleidoscope of disciplines and research strengths. Our programmes in research and education range from nanomaterials and biomachinery to astronomy, from mathematics to pharmacy, from neurosciences to computer science, and from molecular and evolutionary biology to engineering and technology.
On top of its track record of research excellence, the Faculty offers a large number of bachelor’s degree programmes (overseen by our Undergraduate School of Science and Engineering) and master’s degree programmes (overseen by our Graduate School of Science and Engineering). Nearly all of our bachelor's (BSc) and master's degree programmes (MSc) are fully English-taught, thus allowing students from all over the world to follow a degree programme with us.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a starting salary depending on the date you obtained your PhD and your postdoctoral years:
• 0 years: € 3,353 gross per month for a full-time position
• 1 year: € 3,491 gross per month for a full-time position
• 2 years: € 3,619 gross per month for a full-time position
• 3 years: € 3,746 gross per month for a full-time position
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
- an 8.3% year-end bonus
- initially an appointment of one year that will be extended by 3 years if you perform satisfactorily; the fellowship will not be extended after the four years period.
The preferred starting date is 1 November 2020
Interested candidates are invited to submit a complete application including:
• a letter of motivation
• a curriculum vitae, including a list of publications
• a short description (max 1 A4) of your teaching interests (extra attachment 1)
• a short description (max 1 A4) of your scientific field of interest (extra attachment 2).
You may apply for this position until 13 August 11:59pm / before 14 August 2020 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews will take place in week 35, 2020.
In this stage of recruitment, we don’t ask for reference letters.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Yvonne Folkers, Coordinator of the FSE Fellowship Programme, Y.Folkers rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.