Tenure Track Full Professor Islamic Origins (1.0 FTE) (220211)
The Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies seeks to appoint a Tenure Track Full Professor of Islamic Origins. The successful candidate will be appointed initially as an Assistant or Associate Professor with promotion to full professor pending successful completion of the Tenure Track. Senior scholars (Associate level) are strongly encouraged to apply, but applications of less senior candidates are also welcome. The position will involve 50% teaching, 40% research, and 10% administration. The position will be located within the Department of Jewish, Christian, and Islamic Origins. The historical orientation of the department means that we investigate all detectable currents in the formative periods of these traditions, not only those that would later become normative. The candidate will contribute to the teaching programme (BA, MA, and Research Master’s level), take up coordination of the MA programme, and do research in the field of Early Islam/Islamic Origins. Candidates should also be able to connect the academic study of Islam’s formative period to contemporary public perceptions of and debates about Islam.
The successful candidate is expected to do research, to teach, and to supervise undergraduate, graduate and PhD students in the field of Early Islam/Islamic Origins. (S)he is expected to develop new ideas in research, and to acquire external funding (independently or jointly with other colleagues) for future research. (S)he is expected to develop a conceptually consistent research programme that complements the research of the Department of Jewish, Christian, and Islamic Origins. Also, (s)he is expected to develop both strong international networks and at the same time have an affinity for the Dutch university context.
With regard to community, the successful candidate should be a team player who contributes to the Department through research collaboration and through active participation in joint educational and administrative activities, fulfilling her/his share in the administration of the Department and the Faculty. Furthermore, (s)he will be encouraged to develop socially relevant research in keeping with the Faculty’s Centres and its involvement in university-wide research networks such as ‘Sustainable Society’.
What we ask:
• a PhD degree in Islamic Studies, Religious Studies, Theology, or another field appropriate to the position
• experience and proven success in teaching in a variety of class types and sizes
• an exemplary research record demonstrated by publications in the form of monographs and/or articles in top journals and/or in peer-reviewed volumes
• success in acquiring external funding (public or private) for research projects
• a well-founded and motivated application with an innovative and integrative research plan for the coming five years and a challenging outlook for the future, taking into account the international research landscape in your field
• significant international experience and evidence of international recognition
• evidence of organisational qualities, communication skills and entrepreneurship
• a team player with skills at working in a multidisciplinary team
• proven administrative experience and capability to assume the Faculty’s deanship in the future
• fluency in the English language, in written and spoken form
• the University of Groningen requires teaching staff to attain the University Teaching Qualification; a successful applicant lacking this qualification (or equivalent) is expected to obtain it within two years, by attending courses at the University
• willingness to learn the Dutch language, with the aim of reaching European standard B2 within three years so that you are able to communicate with faculty, staff, and students in Dutch
• willingness to take up residence in or near the city of Groningen.
Depending on experience and qualifications, the successful candidate will be appointed as an Assistant Professor (starting in a temporary position to be made permanent on the condition of positive evaluations) or as an Associate Professor in a tenured appointment. For the exact terms of employment and conditions for promotion, see the Faculty’s Tenure Track regulation 2015 (updated version 2019), which can be sent upon request along with the Memorandum on UG Tenure Track Policy 2017.
Founded in 1614, the University of Groningen enjoys an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative centre of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Balanced study and career paths in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the 32,000 students and researchers to develop their own individual talents. Being among the best research universities in Europe and working alongside prestigious partner universities and networks, the University of Groningen aims to be an international centre of knowledge.
The Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies dates back to the University’s foundation. Being part of a public university, it aims to perform cutting-edge research and teaching in a wide variety of disciplines in the fields of theology and religious studies. We investigate religions as cultural phenomena and social forces in diverse contexts in the past and present. By generating and sharing scholarly knowledge, the Faculty aims to create impact and to contribute to a sustainable society, offering the public and government credible resources for reflection on religion and society.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary dependent on qualifications and work experience, with a minimum of € 3,746 (scale 11) to a maximum of € 6,940 (scale 14) gross per month for a full-time position
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% year-end bonus.
The position is 1.0 FTE. The appointee will ideally commence in post on 1 January 2021.
You may apply for this position until 1 September 23.59h / before 2 September 2020 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on “Apply” below on the advertisement on the university website).
Interested candidates are invited to submit a complete application in one file including:
• a letter of motivation
.• a curriculum vitae, including a list of publications
• an appropriate writing sample and a list of three self-selected “best papers”
• a statement about teaching goals and experience and a description of scholarly interests and plans that fit the profile of the Faculty and the Department
• the names of three references complete with title and contact information.
Interviews will be planned in October/November 2020. Shortlisted applicants will be notified before 1 October 2020. Due to Covid19 and travel restrictions, interviews with the shortlisted applicants will be online.
A research presentation or lecture and an assessment may form part of the next stage of the selection procedure.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. Mladen Popović, Dean of the Faculty and chair of the appointment advisory committee, +31 50 3637544, m.popovic rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.