Tenure Track Assistant Professor in Cognitive & Behavioural Robotics (1.0 FTE) (220140)
We are looking for a tenure track Assistant Professor (see The University of Groningen Career Paths in Science https://www.rug.nl/fse/organization/vacatures/vacatures/career-paths-in-science-edition-4) in cognitive & behavioural robotics or a closely related field. This position focuses on the understanding and design of complex behaviour control systems in robotics. Given that basic control systems are currently already well developed for low-level functions such as posture maintenance, the next challenge is in the area of AI-based robot control systems. Robotic systems need to learn how to produce complex, useful and efficient behaviours. The amount of detail which is needed here precludes the use of handcrafted algorithms for each individual behaviour. Therefore, modern deep-reinforcement learning forms the basis for research in this domain. However, in actual working robotic systems other levels of (hybrid) processing are needed and issues of software architecture need to be addressed.
As a tenure track Assistant Professor you will:
• set up and develop your own research line and research group
• supervise PhD students
• acquire external funding
• promote the societal relevance of your research
• teach in and contribute to the development of the degree programmes in Artificial Intelligence (BSc and MSc) and Human-Computer Communication (MSc)
• contribute to the organisation of the department and institute, for example by participating in working groups and committees, in the domains of teaching, research and management.
At the stage of Assistant Professor, 60% of your time is for research, 30% for teaching activities and 10% for organisational tasks.
We encourage you to apply in particular if you have:
• a PhD degree in Artificial Intelligence or a related field
• at least two years of postdoctoral experience outside of the Netherlands, preferably in a different country than where you received your PhD, and a relevant international network
• excellent research qualities, as shown by a publication record in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
• a good track record in teaching, appropriate to your career stage
• experience in the supervision of PhD students
• applied for and/or received research grants from external sources
• demonstrable organisational competences
• cross-cultural sensitivity
• good command of spoken and written English.
And you are:
• a clearly visible expert in your field
• an inspiring leader who stimulates his or her group members to get the best out of themselves
• a team player with good communication skills
• able to acquire substantial research grants from external sources
• willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years
• able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years.
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, astronomy, physics, chemistry and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, computer science, pharmacy and material science. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in the Bernoulli Institute for Mathematics, Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence of FSE. The candidate will work in the Autonomous Perceptive Systems group of the Department of Artificial Intelligence of the Bernoulli Institute. The position is complementary to current robotics research and education. Other groups in the Department of Artificial Intelligence focus on Cognitive Modeling and Multi-Agent Systems and the department participates in the “Hybrid Intelligence” NWO Gravitation project. Research and education of the Bernoulli Institute center around modelling, computation, and cognition with a focus on science and technology, keeping a balanced mix of fundamental and applied aspects. The institute has a leading role in the cross-disciplinary research theme on Data Science and Systems Complexity (DSSC), and in the Center “Groningen Cognitive Systems and Materials” (CogniGron) within the Faculty of Science and Engineering.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities a full-time position as Assistant Professor in our faculty’s tenure track system Career Paths in Science and:
• a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 3.637 up to a maximum of € 5.656 gross per month (scale 11 or 12, depending on your career stage) for a full-time position
• holiday allowance and year-end bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
• a pension scheme
• maternity and parental leave
• the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
• a mentor programme and a broad range of opportunities for personal development
• dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
As an Assistant Professor, you will enter a tenure track that, if followed successfully, will lead to a Full Professorship in approximately 10 years. In case of a full-time contract, you will initially be appointed for 7 years and your performance will be assessed after 5 years. This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). If your assessment is positive, you will get a tenured appointment as an Associate Professor. 4 to 7 years after being appointed as Associate Professor, you will be assessed for promotion to the position of Full Professor. Please consider Career Paths in Science for a complete description of our tenure track system as well as the criteria for promotion: https://www.rug.nl/fse/organization/vacatures/vacatures/career-paths-in-science-edition-4?lang=en.
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
• a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
• a curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and a list with names of references
• a list of five self-selected ‘best papers’
• a statement of your teaching goals and experience
• a description of your scientific interest and plans.
Please send your application by clicking on "Apply" below the advertisement on the website of the university. The deadline for applications for this position is 23.59h am CET on 1 July 2020.
The University of Groningen is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the NVP Recruitment Code and the European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers from the European Commission.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. Jos Roerdink, Director Bernoulli Institute, j.b.t.m.roerdink rug.nl
- Prof. Lambert Schomaker, head of the Autonomous Perceptive Systems group, l.r.b.schomaker rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.