Lansdorp, Prof. Peter
Peter Lansdorp is Professor of the Biology of Ageing and Scientific Director of the new European Research Institute on the Biology of Ageing (ERIBA) of the University Medical Center Groningen and the University of Groningen. He studied medicine at Erasmus University Rotterdam and gained his PhD at the University of Amsterdam. His research focuses on the role of genetic instability in ageing and in the development of cancer. His main research interest is telomeres – pieces of DNA that protect the ends of chromosomes.
Lansdorp is Scientific Director of the ERIBA research institute, which brings together fundamental scientific research into ageing and related diseases. Top scientists from around the world are recruited to unravel the mechanisms underlying diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s, as well as to study the fundamental causes of tumours and diabetes mellitus. ERIBA is one of the instruments deployed by the UMCG and the University of Groningen within the framework of their Healthy Ageing spearhead.
In late 2011 Lansdorp was awarded an Advanced Investigator Grant. This prestigious European grant is intended for top researchers carrying out excellent and innovative research. Lansdorp will receive the sum of EUR 2.5 million for his research into the role of telomeres and stem cells in ageing processes.
Previously in the news
- Searching fot the secret of life
- 18 miljoen subsidie voor ERIBA en NKI [18 million for Eriba en KNI; in Dutch]
- Succesvolle werving van toptalenten en subsidies door onderzoeksinstituut ERIBA [Successful recruitment of top talent and grants for ERIBA research institute]
- Prestigious European research grant for biologist of ageing Peter Lansdorp
- Grote internationale belangstelling wetenschappers voor Gronings onderzoeksinstituut ERIBA [Great deal of international interest from scientists in Groningen research institute ERIBA]
- Peter Lansdorp appointed to Endowed Chair in Medical Sciences
|Last modified:||26 March 2020 11.28 a.m.|