Admission Requirements 2017/2018
To be considered to study the Liberal Arts and Sciences programme at UUniversity College Groningen (UCG) you need to meet the minimum entry requirements. The UCG Board of Admissions has identified these requirements to ensure that all students in the Class of 2020 have a similar academic background and will be able to successfully participate in the courses offered at UCG.
Please note: You can apply for more than one University College in the Netherlands. Though we are a selective programme, we do not work with numerus fixus, meaning that you can apply for multiple UC's.
1) Secondary school diploma
All students are required to have followed a secondary education which has prepared them for education at an academic institution. The table below shows secondary school diplomas that are considered equivalent to the Dutch VWO by the UCG Admissions Office. Please have a look here for an overview of all countries that are considered equivalent to the Dutch VWO diploma. Should you have any questions regarding this we advise you to get in touch with us (email@example.com).
|Netherlands||VWO||Avg Grade 7.0 or higher|
|United Kingdom||Three A-Levels||Avg Grade B or higher|
|Germany||Zeugnis der allgemeinen Hochschulreife (Abitur)||Abitur 2.0 or higher|
|United States||American High School diploma + four Advanced Placement Tests||Grade 3.0 or higher|
|International Baccalaureate||International Baccalaureate Diploma||32 points or higher|
Please know that the final decision about admission to the programme is made by the UCG Board of Admissions and will only be communicated after your application.
2) English proficiency (spoken & written)
As English is the official language of UCG, all applicants are required to take an English proficiency test (IELTS, TOEFL, CAE, or English Language Test from the University of Groningen Language Centre). Minimum requirements for these tests are:
|IELTS (Academic)||6.5 - no less than 6.0 on each section|
|TOEFL IBT (Internet Based Test)||92 - no less than 21 on each section|
|TOEFL CBT (Computer Based Test)||237 - no less than 21 on each section|
|TOEFL PBT (Paper Based Test)||580 - no less than 55 on each section|
|Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English||CAE (certificate of Advanced English)|
|English Language Test - University of Groningen Language Centre||Section scores C2 or C1 and one section score B|
Please note some people will be exempt from the language requirement:
- Native English speakers
- Applicants with an IB/EB diploma taught and assessed in English
- Applicants with a Dutch VWO diploma and a 7 or higher in English
- Applicants with a German Abitur Diploma and a 10 or higher for the English Kurs
- Applicants with a secondary school diploma from an English speaking country (United States of America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland)
The TOEFL code of the University of Groningen is 7191.
3) Mathematics proficiency
Next to being proficient in English, another minimum requirement for studying at UCG is proficiency in Mathematics. We measure proficiency in Mathematics by having passed maths as a graduating/exam course or having completed mathematics as a final year course with a passing grade in your secondary education. For students from the Netherlands, this means that you have to have passed Mathematics A, B or C as a graduating course. If you do not meet that requirement we would advice you to choose an alternative course / test to complement your application:
- Dutch VWO Wiskunde A or Wiskunde B certificate (Dutch pre-university Mathematics A or B), obtained at CCVX;
- Dutch VWO Wiskunde A or Wiskunde B certificate (Dutch pre-university Mathematics A or B), obtained at Boswell-Beta;
- AP Calculus AB or BC with a College Board examination;
- AS-level or A-level certificate in Mathematics (via one of the British A-level examination boards);
- IB certificate Mathematics Standard Level or Higher Level.
4) Extra requirements
All Chinese students must apply for a 'Nuffic Certificate' to be eligible for a Dutch entry-visa. For more information please click here.
Do you want to make sure you don't miss any deadlines? Sign up for our monthly newsletter!
|Laatst gewijzigd:||13 september 2017 10:13|