Top Programme Evolutionary Biology
The Top Programme Evolutionary Biology is embedded in the Master Programme Ecology and Evolution and explores the interface between ecology and evolution. Students can benefit from a wide spectrum of national and international expertise across the fields of ecology and evolution.
This programme is also offered as Erasmus Mundus programme. Please visit the special MEME website for more information.
By following the specialization in Evolutionary Biology, students acquire top quality research competences via advanced theoretical and practical training in such a way that they become highly attractive for research positions in the area of Evolutionary Biology. They can often continue their careers by starting PhD research.
The two-year track starts in September of each year and has a study load of 120 ECTS. The first semester consists of three compulsory modules. After this initial period, each student puts together an individual programme that optimally meets their personal career objectives. At the core of the programme are two individually supervised research projects of about 6 months each. In addition, each student conducts two smaller assignments based on a review of recent research literature. One of these reviews (the colloquium) is presented orally to a wider audience, while the second review (the literature study) takes the form of a review article or grant proposal. In parallel with these activities, students can choose from several seminar series, short courses and Master modules. Throughout the programme, each student is coached by a personal mentor.The programme elements and their associated ECTS credits (120 in total) are:
- Three compulsory modules (30 ECTS in total)
- At least two series of seminars worth 2 ECTS to be chosen from a list of ‘current themes’ and ‘classic themes’
- Two research projects (60 ECTS in total)
- One colloquium (6 ECTS)
- One literature study written in the form of a review article or a research proposal (6-18 ECTS)
- Optional modules (12 ECTS in total)
Admission Requirements & ApplicationAdmission to this specialization is highly selective. Successful candidates must demonstrate that their motivation and cognitive skills are well above average. The requirements for acceptance include:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Biology or the equivalent
- Marks that clearly identify the candidate as belonging to the top 10% of their cohort
- Outspoken motivation to pursue a scientific career
- Documented proficiency in English
- Recommendations by qualified referees
Details on the admission & application procedure for the Top Programme Evolutionary Biology.
|Laatst gewijzigd:||03 december 2015 13:07|