The University of Groningen is not a campus university and therefore does not offer campus accommodation. However, through third parties there are many (student)houses and apartments available, which are spread all over town. Most of your courses will take place at Zernike campus ("Universiteitscomplex" on Google Maps) which is located north west of the city centre. Furthermore, we would like to stress that student housing is scarce in Groningen and we advise all our students to book their accommodation as soon as they have received their acceptance letter and before 1 June for semester one (Fall) or before 1 December for semester two (Spring) . To know your arrival/departure date, please make sure to study the academic calendar . Also, keep in mind that the introduction events always take place in the week before courses start.
The first housing option is The Student Hotel – a home where you can live, study and work in the best conditions and mingle with different cultures under one roof. You have a furnished room with private bathroom, your own closet and flat screen TV, with international channels. The kitchen is shared with 7 other students. The costs for a room are a bit higher than in regular student accommodation, but the whole building is new (they will open in August 2016) and in the rent included are free wifi everywhere, a private gym and a personal bike. You can make reservations online or by e-mail: email@example.com
Tips and advice on other ways to find accommodation
Although many students use the services of SSH (see below), there are other options for finding accommodation. Before we show you a list of alternatives, please realize that renting a room through all of these services falls under your own responsibility. Also please realize that often the prices do not include furniture and/or water/electricity, etc. Below you find the details of some other corporations/real estate agents/platforms to which you can turn when looking for accommodation:
- Uniplaces Groningen
- Housing Anywhere
- Housing in Groningen
Another option for student accommodation is SSH . SSH also offers furnished room all over Groningen. The University of Groningen has reserved a number of rooms and apartments for its international students. The number of accommodations that the University has reserved with SSH is limited, and is offered on a first come, first served basis. The earlier you apply, the more chances you have. Students who will spend the second semester (February to July 2017) in Groningen can apply for accommodation from 10 October on.
We would like to stress to please not contact the FEB exchange office about accommodation issues such as extending your rental period, arriving earlier etc. You will need to forward these questions to the organisation you have a rental contract with.
Before you make your booking with SSH
SSH informs you about the procedure and the conditions on their website . We would like to advise you to make sure that you studied their website, e.g. read the rental guide , as it contains important information. Once you signed your rental agreement, you also signed for the conditions. We highlight some important aspects:
- When booking your accommodation with SSH, you will sign a rental agreement for a fixed rental period, either 5 (1 semester) or 10 (2 semesters) months. This means that even if you would like to leave the accommodation one month earlier, you will still have to pay for this minimum period.
- The rent starts on the first day of the month. It is, however, possible to have your rental period start a few days earlier. You will have to contact SSH to see if this is possible for the accommodation you have chosen.
- You will finalize your booking by paying the administration fee and the first and last month of your rent. This payment can only be made by Mastercard or Visa credit card!
- Realize that once you booked and paid for your accommodation, there will be no reimbursement of the money in case of cancellation!
- FEB exchange office only confirms a booking for those students that received an acceptance letter.
- Please do not contact the FEB exchange office about accommodation issues such as extending your rental period, arriving earlier, etc. You will need to forward these questions to SSH . Remember, SSH is the organisation where you rent from!
|Last modified:||11 July 2017 4.49 p.m.|