PhD Scholarships Culture Studies, Graduate School for the Humanities (6.0 fte) (B054-59217)
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has established an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative university offering high-quality teaching and research. Its 30,000 students are encouraged to develop their own individual talents through challenging study and career paths. The University of Groningen is an international center of knowledge: it belongs to the best research universities in Europe and is allied with prestigious partner universities and networks worldwide.
The Graduate School for the Humanities is the home for all PhD candidates of the Faculty of Arts (c. 200), and is committed to creating and maintaining excellent conditions for PhD research in all fields of the humanities. In addition to organizing local courses, the GSH works closely with 16 national research schools which offer regular courses and seminars by national and international top researchers.
The Graduate School for the Humanities offers six PhD positions (for 4 years) in the Groningen Research Institute for the Study of Culture (ICOG). As a PhD candidate, you are committed to conducting independent and original scientific research, to report on this research in international publications and presentations, and to present the final results of the research in a PhD dissertation.
ICOG consists of five Research Centres. For further details on their research expertise please consult:
The Research Centre for Historical Studies (http://www.rug.nl/research/icog/research/research-centres/research-centre-for-historical-studies/)
The Research Centre Arts in Society (http://www.rug.nl/research/arts-in-society/)
The Centre for International Relations Research (http://www.rug.nl/research/icog/research/research-centres/centre-for-internatlonal-relations-research-/)
The Centre for Media and Journalism Studies (http://www.rug.nl/research/icog/research/research-centres/research-centre-for-media-and-journalism-studies)
The Centre for Research of the Americas (http://www.rug.nl/research/icog/research/research-centres/research-centre-for-the-americas/)
We are looking for talented and ambitious researchers in the relevant disciplines.
Your qualifications are:
• a master's degree in one of the five areas mentioned above, with an excellent academic record
• proven research abilities and affinity with the research topic
• excellent command of English and good academic writing skills.
The PhD training programme
The PhD student will participate in the Faculty’s GSH training programme for PhD students (cf. https://www.rug.nl/research/gradschool-humanities/) and will draw up a personal Training and Supervision Plan. Part of the training consists in following the Career Perspectives curriculum, which aims to prepare students for their (academic or non-academic) careers after the PhD trajectory. Every year results are assessed in order to ensure a smooth PhD process, that results in a timely PhD thesis.
Information about the PhD-training programme and scholarship can be found via:
Please send your entire application (in English) as a single PDF-file until the deadline of 15 May 2017, 11:59 pm / before 16 May Dutch local time, by means of the application form (click on 'Apply' below on the advertisement on the university website). Please upload your entire application as "letter of motivation".
The submission should contain the following:
1. A cover letter introducing yourself, describing your motivation to conduct scientific research, and locating your research within one of the research groups
2. A full CV demonstrating academic excellence, including publications and presentations (if applicable), and a copy of your passport
3. A certified copy or scan of your MA diploma (or equivalent) and academic record
4. A research proposal, focusing on the central research question to be addressed and the proposed method of approaching and answering this question (1500 words, tables and references excluded, and a project title). See the guidelines in the following website: https://www.rug.nl/research/gradschool-humanities/phd-programme/phd-positions/gsh-format-for-phd-applications
5. names and contact details of two academic references.
For questions regarding the submission procedure, please contact Mrs M.R.B. Wubbolts, MA, by email:email@example.com.
Start date: 1 September 2017.
Interviews with selected candidates will take place in the second half of June 2017.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.