Assistant Professor Healthy Ageing (1.0 fte) (217220)
The vacancy is positioned within the Faculty of Spatial Sciences at the University of Groningen (RUG), as part of and in contribution to the University’s programme ‘Healthy Ageing’.
The Faculty focuses on high quality teaching and research in the fields of spatial planning, economic and cultural geography, and demography. The Urban and Regional Studies Institute (URSI) is the Faculty’s research institute, and tWIST (towards Well-being, Innovation and Spatial Transformation) the Faculty’s research agenda. The Faculty consists of 95 members of staff and around a thousand students.
The Assistant Professor’s teaching and research will be situated in the Faculty of Spatial Sciences and the Department of Demography / Population Research Centre (PRC). The Faculty is responsible for the bachelor Geography and Planning. The Department of Demography is responsible for the master Population Studies. The research of the PRC is carried out within the broad theme ‘Population and Well-Being in Context’.
The Assistant Professor will contribute to (the coordination of) teaching and research in the Faculty of Spatial Sciences in the field of Healthy Ageing.
The main teaching tasks will be in bachelor and master courses related to healthy ageing and health geography and in supervising master and/or bachelor theses in healthy ageing and health geography using quantitative approaches. Additional teaching tasks include the coordination of and/or teaching in analytical demography, research methods, and population studies.
The main research tasks will be to conduct interdisciplinary research (with collaboration inside and outside the Faculty) in the field of Healthy Ageing. Important elements include the co-supervision of PhD students with Prof dr F. Janssen within her chair on “Mortality and Ageing”, and writing research proposals in the field of Healthy Ageing to attract research funding.
In addition, the Assistant Professor will coordinate healthy ageing research at the Faculty of Spatial Sciences, facilitate collaboration between healthy ageing researchers at our Faculty, and with healthy ageing researchers – with a social-scientific perspective - at the University of Groningen, and beyond.
The Assistant Professor will invest 40% of his/her time in research (including PhD supervision), and another 60% in teaching and management/coordination.
• PhD in Medical Demography, Health/Medical Geography or a related discipline, or: PhD in demography/population studies and knowledge of epidemiology / public health, or: PhD in epidemiology / public health and knowledge of demography/population studies
• publications in international peer-reviewed academic journals in the field of quantitative research on themes related to Healthy Ageing
• excellent skills in quantitative research using survey and/or administrative databases
• familiarity with quantitative analysis of population-level data and preferably with spatial analysis
• ability to write research proposals in order to attract research funding
• network of connections in the field of population geography and willingness to invest in external relations and participating in external projects, events and presentations, representing the Faculty and the Department
• open mind for qualitative research
• proven ability to collaborate in a research or teaching team and to take the lead in organizing collaborative work
• experience in various teaching approaches; awareness of and willingness to use the latest innovations in teaching techniques
• possession of a University Teaching Qualification or willingness to acquire this qualification within a reasonable timeframe
• vision on ways to attract students to the Faculty’s bachelor and master programmes and willingness to work on this
• strong drive to share ideas with, give energy to and invest in colleagues and students
• fluent in English.
• conceptual capacity
• environment orientation
• result orientation.
Conditions of employment
The University of Groningen offers a salary that will be between € 3,068 (salary scale 10.4 Dutch University) gross per month and € 5,330 (max. scale 12) gross per month based on the experience of the candidate. The salary will be based on the salary scale for Assistant Professor at Dutch universities and in accordance with the collective agreement regulating employment conditions at Dutch universities. The appointment will be for three years full-time.
Job interviews will be held on Tuesday 13 June 2017.
Starting date: Preferably 1 August or 15 August 2017.
How to apply
You may apply for this position until 5 June 23:59 / before 6 June 2017 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website). Applications must include a curriculum vitae including a list of publications, a recent publication that is relevant for the position, and a 1-2 page document including proposals for bachelor thesis and master thesis topics in the field of healthy ageing / health geography. Applications without these documents will not be considered.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. F. Janssen, Adjunct Professor of Demography, firstname.lastname@example.org
(please do not use for applications)